Friday, June 26, 2009

THE RICK RASH RALLY

I attended the Rick Rash Rally (RRR) last night even though I was not one of those invited. I don't know how many people Rash expected. Since he had 300 hot dogs he must have been prepared to feed at least 200 people. Well, Magistrate Rash will have plenty of food to last him a long time. He won't even have to depend on a free lunch from someone with whom the county does business.

I counted about sixty people. On the surface would seem like a decent turnout for a "town hall" meeting as Rash billed it. However, after counting the people who were invited, the represesntatives of local government, people from the Veolia company which runs the sewer district, people from Industrial Disposal and all of the representatives of the Sheriff's department, I doubt that there were twenty people there. That is being generous.

I only heard three diferent people ask questions and one of those does not live in Rash's district. Thus, I would not call the RRR a success. Rash did show that he could get elected officials out to appear with him. In my opinion that was his reason for inviting them. Rash is always trying to impress other people and he is willing to use others for that purpose.

During the entire rally I could not help but feel sorry for Rash. There he stood, a grown man with his political career on the line, and he has to depend on other people to keep him in office. Make no mistake, the office of magistrate, even though it is on the bottom of the totem pole in county politics, is very important to Rash. He once told me that politics was his "life". Think about that, a man at his stage in life struggling to hold on to the office of magistrate.

I will give Rash one thing, he is no quitter. He can't afford to be since the position means so much to him. Thus, we can expect to see more RRRs.