Saturday, February 20, 2010

OLDHAM ERA STOPS SHORT OF THE FULL STORY ONCE AGAIN

Yesterday, while traveling and surfing the internet, I decided to check the online version of the Oldham Era. It was the first time that I had read anything from the Era for months as I stopped my subscription over a year ago. Once again I was reminded why I no longer choose to receive the Era. The quality of their reporting is simply less than what you would find in a high school newspaper.

In the Wednesday edition there was an article about Magistrate Scott Davis having filed a lawsuit against Kevin Eldridge who is the chairman of the Stormwater district. They interviewed Eldridge to get a response to the lawsuit. However, according to Magistrate Davis the article was written without any personal input from him.

To make matters worse the Era reported that Magistrate Davis had also filed a lawsuit against Judge Murner. My opinion is that they were trying to indicate that Magistrate just likes to file lawsuits. What the Era failed to do was finish the story by explaining to its readers that Judge Murner was convicted of failing to release information under the Open Records law. That would have only taken one more sentence, but then that would have reflected that Magistrate Davis does not file lawsuits unless they are justified.

Yes, I can continue to save my money. Once again I remind people that the Era did not cover the hearing conducted by the Police Merit Board to determine if an Oldham County Police Officer would be fired.

I challenge you to get another side to any story that the Era prints. This is not the first time that the editor of the Era has written an article about Magistrate Scott Davis that did not have all of the facts in it. The editor has ties to the Murner administration. I would hope that those ties would not cloud her vision but everything indicates that for some reason the vision of the Era is clouded where Magistrate Scott Davis is concerned. Fortunately for Magistrate Davis the circulation of the Era is not formidable. Does anyone wonder why?