Wednesday, October 13, 2010

WATCHDOG ENDORSES ERNIE HARRIS FOR STATE SENATOR

This is my first endorsement for the general election for 2010. Actually the endorsement is easy.

Senator Ernie Harris has served Senate district 26 well for seventeen years. I have not agreed with all of his votes but overall he has followed the will of his constituents. In essence, he has done what he has said he would so.

On the other hand, John Black, while serving as Judge/Executive of Oldham County, did not always follow the will of the residents. Many times it is difficult to know what the will of the people is. However, when Dynegy was coming to Oldham County it was abundantly clear that the people did not want it. Whether it has been good for Oldham County or not is not at issue. The people did not want it and John Black paid the political price for neglecting the will of the people.

Further, John Black’s campaign seems to be based on a single issue and that is doing what he considers to be best for the horse industry. Indeed, many of his supporters are from the route 42 corridor. I agree that the horse industry should normally be supported but in this case that simply translates to supporting gambling. Oldham County is about more than gambling and the horse industry.

Other than the horse industry Black’s biggest contributor is developer Bob Jones who contributed $500 to his campaign. If you have followed this blog, you know that I certainly do not consider that a plus for him.

It appears to me that John Black’s support base is narrow while Harris seems to be supported by a broad cross section of people from within the 26th senatorial district.

Several months ago I said on this site that I did not see anyone on the horizon that I thought would be better than Ernie Harris. I have not changed my mind.