Saturday, May 15, 2010

LESLIE ENDORSSED IN DISTRICT THREE MAGISTRATE RACE

Although Tim Smith made a good impression on me at the Westport debates, I am endorsing Bob Leslie for magistrate for the third district. Bob has kept his word to his constituents by opposing all tax increases. He has made that pledge again and I believe that he will again keep his word.

Bob Leslie is a gentleman and was one of the first magistrates to oppose the construction of an airport in Oldham County even though the majority of the other magistrates and the Judge/Executive favored the construction of the airport.

Certainly the competition presented by Tim Smith will keep Leslie aware that his constituents would have a choice if Leslie were to abandon them. District three is fortunate to have two people interested in serving them.

I will not be making an endorsement for the second district, as Wayne Theiss is the only person seeking that office. I know that he is pleased to be in that position. The fact that no other person chose to oppose him says one of two things. Either there is a lot of apathy in the district or the people were of the belief that Mr. Theiss would serve them well. Mr. Theiss previously has held the office of magistrate.

As for the fourth district, I will not make an endorsement. The incumbent, Steve Greenwell is a gentleman. However, I have not been happy with his support of the Murner Administration, including his support of all of the tax and fee increases. He certainly could act more independently. One plus for Greenwell is that he decided that he would oppose the construction of an airport after learning that his constituents were opposed to the airport. However, before he reached that decision his failure to recognize reality caused many people a lot of extra work and strife.

Although it obvious that I do not believe that Mr. Greenwell is the best that district four could do, I cannot endorse his opponent, Lambert Franklin, as I know nothing about him. Thus, he may well have the same approach to issues, to include taxes, that Mr. Greenwell has. There has to be some reason for me to endorse a candidate and I do not have a specific reason to endorse Mr. Franklin.