Wednesday, May 5, 2010

WESTPORT DEBATES

Monday night I had a choice, go to the Lagrange City Council meeting or attend the debate/forum in Westport. Knowing that there would be more City Council meetings throughout the year and that this would be the last debate between most of the officials running for elective office, I decided to attend the debates in Westport. Keep in mind that this was the third set of debates that I had attended. I don't know what happened at the City Council meeting but I do know that I did not learn anything new at Westport.

Most things do not change. Paula Gish still needed her note cards to say the same thing that she said on several previous occasions and the candidates' opening and closing remarks were the same as they had given at prior debates/forums. The questions were very general and for the most part did not relate to the candidate or the office that the candidate was seeking. This made for a very boring event. I would like to see a debate between candidates seeking just one or two offices and I would like to see each candidate given an opportunity to ask his or her opponent three to five questions with each person having a rebuttal period. I believe that might lead to different topics being discussed at each debate. The way these debates have been handled essentially allows each candidate an opportunity to tell a story and leave out the unpleasant parts.

Much of the time was spent by candidates telling what they thought about Westport and what they thought should be done for Westport. It was refreshing to see Bob Leslie, who now represents the Westport area, to be simply honest with people. He stated that the people do not want more taxes and therefore they're just simply is not enough money to do everything that everyone wants. Leslie listed several of the accomplishments that he had achieved for the Westport area. Among those accomplishments were the resurfacing of several roads and the rehabilitation of the park in Westport.

All that said, I would be remiss if I did not give the folks of Westport recognition for their hospitality. Without question the atmosphere was extremely pleasant. Attendees were given the choice of several different cookies and tea or lemonade. The Westport people showed some old-fashioned hospitality and I, for one, certainly appreciated that hospitality.