Wednesday, May 12, 2010

WINTERS FOR PVA: LOGSDON FOR MAGISTRATE

The watchdog endorses Ron Winters for the position of Property Valuation Administrator (PVA). Winters’ opponent, Albert Harrison, has served his country valiantly, however, he simply does not have the experience that Ron Winters has. When someone attempts to unseat an incumbent my first question is: Why should I vote for you? In this case Harrison has not given any reason that I believe is worthy of firing Winters from his job.

Winters had the courage to stand by his convictions when a few developers tried to get the other residents of Oldham County to shoulder part of their tax burden. He has appealed the decision of the Appeals Tax Board in an effort to defend and protect the citizens of Oldham County. For that he deserves another term.

On the other hand, Harrison has no experience as an appraiser and no experience in real estate to the best of my knowledge. He does have a lot of experience as a surveyor but I do not believe that surveying experience is as valuable as having been the PVA and having been an appraiser.

If Harrison could show that Winters had violated the law or that there was some other egregious reason that he should not be re-elected, my decision might be different but he has not been able to do that. He has attempted to make an issue of the fact that Winters has hired his wife. While nepotism may offend some people the court has said that Winters did not violate the law by hiring his wife. Further, the experience that I have had with the office of the PVA reflects that she does a good job and that the taxpayers are getting their money’s worth with her.

In the race for magistrate in the eighth district Mike Logsdon is challenging incumbent Bob Deibel. Mr. Deibel is a gentleman but he has little to offer the court now. He has been around for a long time but he does not have any new ideas. Rather, he seems to find it easier to vote as Judge Duane Murner votes. The people need someone who will vote independently of the county judge and someone who does not want to raise our taxes to balance the budget. Raising taxes is not the answer to every crisis. Bob Deibel has voted for every tax and fee increase during the present administration.

Thus, I have chosen to endorse Mike Logsdon. I have spoken with him and I believe that he is a conservative. Can you believe that I am actually endorsing a realtor? I have no problem with that. I believe that Mike will bring fresh ideas to the court and I believe that he has a feel for the needs of the people and business. He is in touch with both.

Vote for Ron Winters and Mike Logsdon on May 18, 2010.